Wellness and Vaccine Programs
Protect your pet with vaccinations and wellness plans for every stage of life
Our goal is for you to have a healthy and happy pet. As our pets age so much faster than we do, wellness programs allow us to detect and prevent health problems as early as possible. We tailor our wellness/vaccination programs to you and your pet’s individual needs – no “one size fits all”.
We offer kitten/puppy, adult and senior wellness programs.
Just as babies need more frequent exams and vaccines, so do puppies. We give a series of 3 vaccines (usually at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age) with a full exam at each visit. Our vaccines protect against Distemper, Parvovirus, Rabies and Leptospirosis. We will also recommend a fecal exam and/or regular deworming to test and treat for intestinal parasites as these are very common in puppies.
- All vaccines are given with a full physical exam. Speaking with you, the owner, during the exam can provide our veterinarians with knowledge about your pet and be able to address any concerns you may have.
- Protection against Rabies, Distemper/Parvo (DHPPV) and Leptospirosis are our core vaccines and are available for all of our canine friends. The Bordetella vaccine (kennel cough) and lyme vaccines are also available.
- We will also discuss a number of new puppy issues, including house training, nutrition, grooming, and socialization. We're happy to answer any questions you may have!
Just as babies need more frequent exams and vaccines, so do kittens. We give a series of 3 vaccines (usually at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age) with a full exam at each visit. Diseases protected against include Feline Distemper, Herpes (upper respiratory disease), and Rabies. We will also recommend a fecal exam and/or regular dewormings to test and treat for intestinal parasites that are very common in kittens.
- All vaccines are given with a full physical exam. We will also discuss a number of new kitten issues, such as litter box training, scratching, grooming, and socialiaziton. be able to address any concerns you may have.
- Protection against Upper Respiratory-Feline Distemper (FVRCP), and Rabies infections are our core vaccines for all cats and kittens. Feline Leukemia vaccine is recommended for cats who are going outside.
Adult Pet Wellness
A comprehensive examination is recommended annually. Often we can detect health and/or dental problems you may be unaware of. Along with the exam, appropriate vaccines are given.
We also suggest an annual fecal exam (to detect intestinal parasites) and blood and/or urine tests. These diagnostic tests allow us to determine if there are underlying problems that may not be apparent during your pet’s physical examination.
Senior Pet Wellness
Dogs over 7-10 years old (breed dependent) and cats over 11 years of age are considered geriatric and many will experience physical and mental changes. Just as we age differently, so do our pets. Larger breeds tend to have shorter life spans than smaller breeds. As in humans, the incidence of many diseases increases in our senior pets – arthritis, cancer, dental disease, obesity, etc. So, with regular physical examinations (every 6 months) and appropriate diagnostic testing, we can achieve an optimum quality of life for our senior patients.
Age Related Changes to Watch for in Your Pet
Arthritis is common in senior dogs and cats – reluctance to jump up, play or go for walks and limping are some signs of pain. Dental disease is also common – look for bleeding gums, bad breath and changes in appetite or weight. Increased drinking (and urinating) may signal kidney problems or other disease. Hearing and vision may fade; dogs and cats can even develop dementia.
Early detection of disease through regular exams and blood testing leads to earlier, more successful treatment and less discomfort for your pet. As our pets age so much faster than we do, wellness programs allow us to detect, treat and in some cases prevent health problems as early as possible.
At the Hillside Animal Clinic in Newmarket you will know your cherished pet is in good hands.